Looking pretty trim

Img_8248

One thing I noticed in Holland was that the houses’ windows “popped” in a really elegant way. It took me a few days to notice why – most of the houses had black window frames surrounded by white trim.

Img_8010

It’s such a simple way to make windows stand out – like adding eye liner I guess!

Img_7971
Img_8056
Img_8006
Img_7980

Would you ever paint your window frames black?

• Sydney
    November 3, 2011 - 3:27 pm | Permalink

I totally love black window frames. There are a lot of cool flats/lofts near Borough/London Bridge area that have black frames but not the white. It looks amazing! My bf and I have already agreed that’s going to be a top priority once we get our own place!

• Megan
    November 3, 2011 - 5:59 pm | Permalink

We love Holland! We found Holland to have the most friendly + genuine people and beautiful scenery out of all the places we visited during our travels through Europe!

• Jess @ Little House. Big Heart
    November 3, 2011 - 6:20 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if I would be brave enough, but I think it looks lovely. The Little House has a black door, so it would tie in… maybe I’ll experiment with a side window? Our trim needs freshening up anyway.

• Annabel Vita
    November 4, 2011 - 8:49 am | Permalink

@Megan – I agree, they are just the nicest people, ever! @Jess – I’m not sure if I’d be brave enough either! It’s funny how daring it seems. Maybe because windows are a pain to paint and black is hard to paint over? A side window experiment sounds perfect. I think the ones that look nicest have a layer of black and a layer of white (like a double mat in photography).

• Annabel Vita
    November 4, 2011 - 8:51 am | Permalink

@sydney – I love those flats in that area. So fancy!

• Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    November 4, 2011 - 1:13 pm | Permalink

absolutely gorgeous!

• Thaumata
    November 30, 2011 - 5:23 pm | Permalink

Actually, we did! Well, almost.. we always joke that our favorite colour is 50% grey, because it’s so nice for a photo background in web design. Somehow, this translated to a joke about house paint in 50% grey, so we found some and did the window trim in it. It looks great! Our front door is a pale minty colour and together, they make our tiny little house look very cute. I’d do it again in a minute! Way nicer than the old white stuff we had on there.

• October 5, 2012 - 3:13 pm | Permalink

So pretty! I love that it’s like “eyeliner” for the windows. In the same way, dark curtain rods are “mascara” against light walls! Tons of inspiration here!