Teensy kitchen

My kitchen is almost certainly smaller than yours. I thought our last kitchen was tiny (and I’m pretty sure it was!) but this one really takes the biscuit.

For some reason though, I’m head over heels in love with it. I took a picture of it on my phone the other day and got it out at work just to look at it, like a lovesick teenager. Ha.

Why I love this kitchen so much is beyond me. It’s got an electric hob and oven, which I hate, and it’s not even like the lovely glass topped electric hob we had in our old flat. It has no windows. I pretty much hate the colour of the tiles. It has no lower cabinets, and all the upper cabinets are too narrow for large plates. I can only properly reach two cabinets without a stepladder (purchase number one when we moved in!) and each cabinet is just one big box, with no shelves. There’s only a modicum of countertop. There physically isn’t anywhere I can figure out to put a bin. Go on! Suggest somewhere! Inside a lower cabinet? Nope, don’t have one of them. Behind the door? Nope, no room! There isn’t a square foot that isn’t necessary for washing up, doing laundry, using the oven, opening the fridge or entering and exiting the room. So, we have a bin liner hooked on the back of the door and the recycling lives in a cupboard in the living room.

But, like I said, I love this kitchen! It’s so weird. Maybe it’s because it’s the first kitchen that my Kitchenaid has been in? (Totally worth the counter top it uses, by the way!). Maybe because it’s so small it seems stuffed full of my favourite things? That probably makes it too cluttered for other people, but I don’t care. I’m like a magpie, I just love being surrounded by pretty, colourful things.

Image

But anyway. Here she is at the moment. I’m sure she’ll get better, so I’ll do a post another time about with small space kitchen tips, when I’ve worked them out myself!

Oh hey! See me and my green jeans in the kettle?

It took a few days of counter top ballet, but I think I finally figured out the best way to put all the appliances out. It would look a lot better without the one-cup coffee machine (that white thing with the monogram mug in it) and just use the kettle and a cafetière (French press!) but I love that thing. You just press the button, walk away and come back a minute later to a hot cup of coffee. Morning magic!

The toaster earns its counter top space by (making me toast, and) holding bread and butter on top of it atop two cheapie Ikea chopping boards. This keeps the chopping boards off the counter and also makes it easy to just whip everything off to make toast.

This set of cabinets has lighting underneath. Ooh! (haha)

(Have you noticed the mammoth sink? Who decided to put in a huge sink in such a small place?)

By the stove I keep plain flour and sugar in large Ikea glass jars, in an attempt to make the bare baking essentials all in arms reach (and, as I mentioned, my arms can only reach two cupboards and they don’t hold baking goods!). The Le Creuset lives on the stove top, because I love it and because it’s too heavy to keep up high and did I mention we’re short on cabinet space?

For all it’s faults, it’s actually a pretty great kitchen to cook in. Everything is right within reach (with the help of a stepladder), the oven works really well and the big sink is actually really handy for keeping the counters clear when cooking or baking. I like shutting the door, putting the radio on and cooking up a storm. Sure, I cannot wait until I have a bigger kitchen, with windows, and backsplash I’ve chosen myself and cabinets that make sense, but for now, this is great.

So there you go! A little look at our kitchen. As I said, I’ll share some small kitchen tips just as soon as I have them all worked out. Until then, Here’s a post with my top teensy kitchen tips. I’d love to see pictures of your kitchen!

• Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    April 29, 2012 - 6:55 pm | Permalink

That kitchen is so stinkin’ cute! I actually kind of like the backsplash tiles.

• April 29, 2012 - 7:31 pm | Permalink

I like it but it’s just so orange, and with my red kitchenaid and orange le creuset I feel it’s too much in such a small place.
      Glad you like it!

• April 29, 2012 - 7:40 pm | Permalink

It looks great! The worst thing about tiny kitchens is the lack of counter space, but I think the small space is manageable!

• April 29, 2012 - 7:44 pm | Permalink

I totally agree! We keep meaning to get one of those big ikea butcher block chopping boards to go over the stove for extra counter space.

• ChrystinaNoel
    April 29, 2012 - 8:42 pm | Permalink

I’m impressed what you did with such a small space!! Also, I have those flour/sugar jars, and I love them :)

• April 30, 2012 - 12:22 am | Permalink

Very cute! You’ve done some great stuff with such a tiny space. I agree about the Kitchen Aid mixer on the counter (totally worth it) and we leave our Le Creuset on the stove, too (it’s too heavy to really move around).

• April 30, 2012 - 12:54 pm | Permalink

Amazing!! Ours is bigger, and we are just bursting at the seams. My number 1 request for our next place is a bigger kitchen.

I love so many of your dishes and containers. And I have to admit…I love the color of the tiles!!

• April 30, 2012 - 2:04 pm | Permalink

I do like the tiles on their own but I have a lot of orange le creuset items that I used to love having out on the counter but it’s tooo much orange!

• April 30, 2012 - 4:22 pm | Permalink

It looks so cute and cheery! I love it, even though it’s super small!

• May 1, 2012 - 12:16 pm | Permalink

My kitchen is smaller than yours by a few inches ;) and we have a smaller sink. Let me tell you, do not resent your sink. We can’t even fit a frying pan in ours :( ! Great job though, I’ll definitely be taking a leaf out of your book :)

• May 3, 2012 - 6:12 am | Permalink

This is an adorable little kitchen and I can see it looking even prettier with a stylish makeover. Unfortunately, my kitchen has the opposite problem. Despite having a relatively small space to combine a kitchen, living and dining room in, they decided to make the kitchen take up three quarters of the space! It’s so big I have a dining room in the middle, and it takes me a couple of minutes to walk from the oven to the fridge (ok that’s an exaggeration but it feels like it sometimes). Love your blog xx

• May 3, 2012 - 9:47 am | Permalink

Oh no! I guess the problem is just kitchens designed by other people! (Stupid people). I don’t think this flat has ever been lived in by the person that owns it, so the kitchen makes perfect sense in theory but in reality could do with a few changes (more shelves in the cupboards, mainly).

• Pingback: Some small desk upgrades « Annabel Vita