Amazing Fit – Simplicity 1800 dress

So, all of y’all know I’ve been obsessed with sewing lately? Finally this has (nearly) come to fruition! Thanks to a rainy weekend and some pinning help (the real stuff, not the pinterest kind) from my mum, I have a made this:

Hip hip hooray! Yes, it still needs to be hemmed but I’m pretending that I’m letting the skirt hang for a few days to get the bottom level (even though it’s not really necessary for this dress, but shh) before doing this.

BUT, I have a new way to stop unfinished dresses from never being finished. I’m not allowed to put them away. They have to stay on Doris (who, remember, normally lives right in line of sight from the sofa) so that I have to stare at it every day until I give in and finish it. The Cambie dress is going straight on Doris once I’ve hemmed this dress.

Anyway. I decided I wanted to make this pattern after the deflating first time I tried on the Cambie dress. My measurements are a bit weird and I didn’t feel ready alter a pattern to fit my bust. I wanted to tackle sewing up a dress before tinkering with fit. So I did some googling and found the Simplicity Amazing Fit line. These come with different bodice pieces depending on your cup size. Genius, non?

I really liked the look of the 1800 -

Source: simplicity.com via Annabel on Pinterest

So I did a whole load of googling and couldn’t find that many completed versions, until I stumbled on this beautiful chambray version from Nikki at Fancy That.

I went to my local fabric shop and found as near a match for the fabric as I could. (I love this fabric shop, they always ask if I’m a student and knock about 15 per cent off even though I say I’m not! Plus they’re friendly and helpful and it’s not at all twee in the slightest, just a real local sewing shop that’s been there forever)  I cut out my fabric Saturday morning, and pretty much finished except for hemming on Sunday, with lots of not-sewing time mixed in with the sewing.

I love it. The pockets are right where your hands reach for pockets. The bodice fits better than any dress I’ve bought in a shop in years. It’s nicely fitted around the bust and waist – I normally have to pick one or the other! It has some bits that didn’t quite go right (note to self: use this tutorial next time you put a zip in, not a pin and prayer) but I’m not going to point them all out like I normally do, because, you guys, I did it. I finished a dress! My next dress will be better, and the one after that even better. Huzzah!

PS. I’m purposefully not including a ton of photos and details, because when the dress is done-done and I’ve worn it a few times I’m going to write a proper review – like I said, they were really hard to find online and most of the ones I did find (pretty much just these four) didn’t really cover whether the “amazing fit” bit of the pattern helped with a big bust). So I’m keeping this post slim on details and photos so I don’t bore you all when I come back with that post!

PPS. I had a really pin-productive weekend! I also made macaroni and cheese from scratch using this method, pizza like this (a bit of cheat as that’s a pin from my own site!), baked this cake and decorated the top using this pin (but with a doily for a stencil) – I also went for a run. It’s still enough of a novelty that I like to talk about it a lot! (To be fair, it was my first ever run in the rain, and that’s an achievement, right?)

Linking up here:

Organised by:

• July 10, 2012 - 1:49 pm | Permalink

1. The dress is adorable! I can’t wait until you post more pics! I’m so scared to try clothing (I can barely sew a straight line as it is).
    2. That cake looks delicious! I forgot breakfast this morning, so I’m starving and that picture’s not helping.
    3. Congrats on the run and new shoes! And I LOVE running in the rain, especially here in Texas in the summer.

• July 10, 2012 - 2:12 pm | Permalink

Aw thanks!
      The cake was really tasty. The berries sunk to the bottom though, which wasn’t supposed to happen.
      Oh, texas summer rain sounds nice! It’s been basically raining for a month here though. It was the wettest June in like a hundred years. Boo!

• July 10, 2012 - 1:54 pm | Permalink

I really like the pockets in that dress. I made a similar one in school with my Mum’s help, same colour and everything. xox

• July 10, 2012 - 2:22 pm | Permalink

The pockets are amazing! They’re in just the right place – I’d love to see a picture of your dress!

• July 10, 2012 - 2:35 pm | Permalink

Hello! LOVELY dress. I have just got into sewing but am not brave enough to make a dress yet. This is my latest sewing make: http://hannahinthebath.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/ipadded-handmade-quilted-ipad-case.html

It only just fitted the iPad, ie an inert rectangular object, so am def some way off sewing for a body!

Am looking forward to seeing how the dress turns out! x x

• July 11, 2012 - 2:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks Hannah! I love the ipad case.

• Hannah
        July 11, 2012 - 2:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks A, v lovely to hear from you! And re the other thing, I probably would have said ‘keeping it under my hat’, which is I think even worse!! x x

• July 10, 2012 - 8:15 pm | Permalink

I love the dress! And I once read that in order to avoid chocolate chips sinking to the bottom you could dust them with flour before adding them to the dough – maybe you could try that with berries and see if it works?

• July 10, 2012 - 8:42 pm | Permalink

I will try that next time, but these started out right on the top, so I didn’t even think about them sinking! I think it might have been because the original recipe was strawberries and I used blackberries and raspberries? Anyway – it still tasted lovely :)
      ps. You might be interested to know I used half wholegrain spelt flour – yummy and nutty.

• July 10, 2012 - 8:56 pm | Permalink

Super cute! You did an amazing job! :)

• July 11, 2012 - 11:32 am | Permalink

The dress and cake are both b-e-a-u-tiful! It really inspires me to make my own clothes…I love the idea of a custom fit. Guess I’d better start by getting a sewing machine. ;-)

• July 11, 2012 - 11:35 am | Permalink

Thanks Clair! That means a lot.
      Have you used spelt flour? I really liked it! Are there any other weird flours I should be trying out? (seems kinda like your area?)

• July 12, 2012 - 12:27 am | Permalink

Your version is beautiful! Imitation is the finest form of flattery and I am flattered :) thanks so much!

• July 12, 2012 - 9:36 am | Permalink

Ah! Thank you so much, that means a lot coming from my inspiration source :)

• July 17, 2012 - 3:13 pm | Permalink

Really cute dress!! I am v. impressed at your sewing skills. And I just love not only how cool and artsy Doris is, but that you are using her for such a great purpose!

• July 17, 2012 - 10:35 pm | Permalink

That’s a gorgeous dress – congratulations! You’re so brave to sew a dress so soon into sewing – maybe I need to be a bit braver! I love your fabric choice too.

• July 18, 2012 - 9:30 am | Permalink

Thank you so much! I’m not sure if it’s bravery or stupidity… but it seems to be working so far.

• Pingback: In! and out! « Annabel Vita