Vintage goodies

One of my favourite things about having finally learnt how to sew is that it gives me an excuse to hoard fabric. (Let’s be honest, I was doing this anyway, but these days I have a reason!) In fact, it’s not called a hoarding, it’s “building a stash”. Hooray!
The other good thing is people (mainly my mother and mother-in-law) are giving me fabrics that they’ve hoarded! Double hooray! This little bag of goodies (vintage fabric and patterns) came home with Mr V last time he visited his parents without me.

The best bit? Some of the fabric and patterns came from my mother-in-law’s mother’s stash. Isn’t it amazing, that when I eventually use these I’ll be wearing her engagement ring and sewing with her fabrics and patterns? It’s a lovely inheritance that makes me feel part of Mr V’s family in a very real way.

Some of the pieces are quite big – that blue one with white flowers in the middle is easily big enough for a sorbetto and there’s some more larger pieces further down the stack. Then there’s plenty that would be big enough for doll’s clothes (three different patterns in the stack!)

Some of the pieces of fabric are only big enough to use in patchwork. but luckily, I love making patchwork quilts!  I’m so excited that the next quilt I make will be made like quilts should be made – with scraps of fabric from hither and thither – rather than with a pack of pre-cut squares from the quilt shop. (There’s nothing wrong with that, but I love the thrifty individuality of quilts made from scraps.)

And this shirt? I can’t wait to make this shirt!

Maybe I’ll see if there’s enough of one of the larger pieces of fabric to make one of these blouses from. That would be fun, right?

And then maybe a hilariously old-fashioned nightgown?

Because nothing says ‘sexy’ like a night dress that goes from your neck all the way to your wrists and ankles!

What craft supplies do you hoard?

• August 29, 2012 - 8:32 pm | Permalink

How cool to get fabric from his grandmother! That’s so sweet! :)

• August 29, 2012 - 9:03 pm | Permalink

What a lucky girl you are! I’ve just been scouring Ebay for patterns like this and they are going for a fortune! Good luck with them.

• August 30, 2012 - 9:59 am | Permalink

Thanks Julie! I think I need to practice more on some less irreplaceable patterns before I tackle these – or learn how to trace!

• August 30, 2012 - 3:42 pm | Permalink

What a fantastic gift! I love how sentimental things you make with this fabric and patterns will be!

Definitely make a night dress- I’m sure those will come back in ; )

• August 31, 2012 - 9:05 am | Permalink

I know! I’m trying not to get too pressured about using the fabric only for the “perfect” thing!

• August 30, 2012 - 4:27 pm | Permalink

You know what would make those nightgowns sexier? Making them using a plaid flannel fabric. Yes, those really do exist.

I love that all of those sewing materials have been passed down to you. I know exactly how you feel – when my nanny gave me her mother and mother-in-law’s sewing boxes, I was so excited. It makes me feel connected!

• August 31, 2012 - 9:04 am | Permalink

Mmm! I love plaid flannel buuut maybe not for ultra-modest nightgowns. I love that your nanny gave you her mother’s stuff! That’s so incredible. It makes you wonder who will end up sewing with our stuff? (Because I will never, ever run out of buttons!)

• August 31, 2012 - 12:05 am | Permalink

My sister (a knitter) hoards TONS of (expensive) yarn. I crochet, so she often passes it on to me when she has too much. Yippee!

• August 31, 2012 - 8:58 am | Permalink

Hooray! I get my brother’s old camping equipment, which I L-O-V-E! And he’s taken up woodwork, so I look forward to reaping the benefits of that!

• Pingback: Annabel Vita » Annabel Vita’s Secret Stash