Rast saves the day

We’ve lived in our flat for over six months now, but I still haven’t properly shown you our bedroom! Sure, it’s popped up here and there, but never really properly. That’s partially because it looks like a slobby teenager’s room most of the time.

Man, I wish I’d staged that photo to look extra messy, but no. That’s an honest to goodness before picture.

Anyway, space in this room is pretty tight thanks to our extra long king size bed. There’s no closet and no room for a wardrobe. so we keep our clothes in the small built-in cupboard and on the clothes rail.

When that wasn’t enough, we moved in those metal Ikea shelves that we already owned, but it never really worked or looked good. Those shelves are great for some things (we used them in our last kitchen) but they really didn’t work here – they’re just not meant for storing clothes.

I wanted concealed clothing storage like a chest of drawers, but, as I said, the space is really tight. I was pondering this late one night (thanks, insomnia) when I remembered Ikea’s Rast chest of drawers. It’s super shallow, which we need for this space, and the fact that its only £20 and real wood sealed the deal. (But first I emailed the only person I ‘know’ who as this bit of furniture to ask if they’d work for storing clothes – thanks Ainhoa!)

Luckily my friend was going to Ikea just a few days after making this decision, so she picked me up a set of drawers and I assembled them yesterday.

Anyway, enough talking, let’s get to some pictures.

So… I like it but I don’t love it. That’s ok, I knew this would be the case – it’s a solution to a problem and it’s much better than it was. I feel like the room now looks like a college apartment bedroom, which is a step up from a slobby teenager’s! Even so, I’m wondering whether a lick of paint would help.

I figure I could either paint it white or a pale grey in the hopes of helping it visually disappear as much as possible. I could paint it duck egg blur, or Mizzle like the living room cabinet, because it’s a nice colour, it could work in here, and it would help tie the two rooms together a little. Or, I could paint it a bold emerald colour to go with a few other green things in the room. For emerald, I really like arsenic by Farrow and Ball (I also considered Green Parrot No 2 by Dulux, but, uh, you’ll see why I ditched that idea). I used Pixlr, picmonkey and a colour picker to knock up some extremely rough mock ups.

What do you think? Mizzle came up looking grey and nothing like it looks in real life. It’s such an odd colour… It’s more similar to the pale duck egg in the bottom row, but with a hint of green. I love it in the living room, so I might just give it a go… Arsenic looks great but I don’t know if it would draw too much attention to a pretty dull bit of furniture. White is the safe bet – but could I get it to match the white on the walls enough? So maybe grey? Or just leave it as it is?

Help! What do you think?

• October 25, 2012 - 2:52 pm | Permalink

I’m digging Dark Duck Egg. Maybe you can use Pail Duck Egg and do an ombre effect (like this)!

PS – I love having blog friends so I can ask for their opinions and suggestions!

October 25, 2012 - 3:03 pm | Permalink

It’s the best! And on this one it seems you all disagree with me so I may have to change my opinion. Thanks for your input!

• October 25, 2012 - 2:58 pm | Permalink

I’m kind of digging Dark Duck Egg too.

October 25, 2012 - 3:03 pm | Permalink

So funny how I wrote that off and you all really like it. I’ll have to think again!

• October 25, 2012 - 3:01 pm | Permalink

I like the pale duck egg and the dark one too. xoxo

October 25, 2012 - 3:02 pm | Permalink

I love how I wrote off dark duck egg but you guys are all into it! Shows how little I know!

• October 25, 2012 - 4:37 pm | Permalink

i’d probably try a darker grey to set it off from the white walls or maybe a darker blue/grey? but i like contrast. And it would be fun to paint the back panel of the set-it window box/cubbie on the back wall the same color. and then also maybe the trim along the floor and around the window… too much?

October 25, 2012 - 5:11 pm | Permalink

I love love love those ideas but sadly we’re renting so can’t paint walls and trim or the cubby thing, but I like the idea of contrast…. and I’ve been thinking of trying something in that nook with wallpaper or wrapping paper, so maybe I could make it similar tones…. Lots of great ideas, thank you!

• October 25, 2012 - 5:04 pm | Permalink

I really like the arsenic colour too- I guess we’re different. I picture it with fun graphic knobs and love the idea of a coordinating wallpaper or gift wrap in that niche!

October 25, 2012 - 5:12 pm | Permalink

Ooh, that sounds fun! I think I’m torn between trying to make it disappear into the walls (because the room is so teensy) and trying to make it a fun accent….

• October 25, 2012 - 6:15 pm | Permalink

Man do I love Ikea! The dresser makes a big difference.

You could always stain it really dark too. I think that would look good. Of the paint, Pale Duck Egg is my favorite.

October 25, 2012 - 8:16 pm | Permalink

You’re a genius! Staining it dark is a great idea! I hadn’t even thought of that. Lots to think about….

• October 25, 2012 - 7:30 pm | Permalink

You could always try the old ombre look which is so popular right now. The thing I’ve read about RAST is that since there are no nooks or crannies it is super easy to paint. Check out this YHL book sneak peek for inspiration? You could do one color per drawer or even two colors per drawer! http://images.younghouselove.com.s3.amazonaws.com/2012/10/Press-Country-Living-Feature.jpg

October 25, 2012 - 8:15 pm | Permalink

Oooh, I do love that idea but I don’t think it would work here, because there’s already so many colours going on with the exposed clothes and the butterfly poster. I’d love to do that on something one day….

• October 25, 2012 - 9:21 pm | Permalink

I think the last Arsenic color is definitely my favorite!

October 25, 2012 - 11:39 pm | Permalink

Hooray! I think it’s mine too!

• October 26, 2012 - 1:27 pm | Permalink

I like Arsenic!! (What a strange sentence to type) Aside from your clothes, it looks like the rest of the room is pretty neutral, so I think an attention grabbing color would look great! Keep in mind – I have a green entertainment center so I am a bit biased in the color department!

October 26, 2012 - 1:56 pm | Permalink

Haha! It’s such a bad paint colour name. I am totally biased towards anything green too!

• October 26, 2012 - 5:04 pm | Permalink

I like the dark duck egg!!

October 26, 2012 - 5:14 pm | Permalink

It’s a popular choice! Thanks for your input :)

• October 27, 2012 - 12:56 am | Permalink

This is what I want to do to a rast – make it not look like a rast! http://aubreyandlindsay.blogspot.com/2009/09/side-table-project.html

October 27, 2012 - 9:31 pm | Permalink

Ooh, that’s a great idea. Thanks Sydney!

• October 31, 2012 - 2:07 pm | Permalink

I was just coming over to say the same! We want to get a couple for bedside tables as well.

October 31, 2012 - 2:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks A.J., it’s definitely one to think about! These would be great bedside tables.

• Pingback: Annabel Vita » The bedroom